|p. 191 of A World of Experience Teachers’ Edition, published by American Book Company copyrighted in 1963. The story, “Jim Thorpe,” in Chapter 4, “Game Champions,” was written by Robert H. Shoemaker.|
crappy old story concludes with some questions.
- Do you think there is such a thing as a “born athlete”? If so, was Thorpe one?
- How were Thorpe and Ruth alike?
- What were some of the causes of Thorpe’s success?
- The 1912 Olympics brought both success and failure to Jim Thorpe. What was the cause for success? for failure?
- What were some of the causes of his decline?
- What are some of the amusing sidelights of Jim’s career?