The Short Story is Francis Bacon was a man who was born in England a long time ago, who wrote a lot of stuff, spent four days in jail which it seems everyone on the world-wide-web wants to talk about, counseled royalty, thought scientific investigation should be inductive and methodical, and who died in 1626. Oh. And who wrote a bunch of plays under the name “Shakespeare.”
That’s the Short Story.
- The Encyclopedia of Philosophy (Volume 1). Edwards, ed. 1967.
- The Story of Philosophy: The Lives and Opinions of the Greater Philosophers, Durant. 1953.
- A History of Western Philosophy: And Its Connection with Political and Social Circumstances from the Earliest Times to the Present Day. Russell. 1945.
- The Philosophy of Civilization First American Edition. Schweritezer. 1923.
- The Rise of Scientific Philosophy. Reichenbach. 1951.
- A History of Philosophy: Volume 3 Late Mediaeval and Renaissance Philosophy Part II The Revival of Platonism to Suárez New Revised Edition. Copleston. 1952.
- This Realm of England 1399-1688. Smith. 1966.
- The Cambridge Modern History Volume III: The Wars of Religion Ward et al. “Planned by Lord Acton.” 1934.
- A Short History of England Revised and Enlarged Edition. Cheney. 1944.
- The History of England from the Accession of James II Volume I. Thomas Babington Macaulay. 1856.
- A Study of History: Abridgment of Volumes VII-X. Toynbee and Somervell. 1957.