The idea behind an oven meal is that every dish of the meal, including dessert, cooks or bakes at the same temperature, and for the same length of time. Most of the oven meals are relatively simple– no fancy dishes. So while there is prep time to get everything ready, it’s not too bad.
Oven meals are perfect for Saturday or Sunday suppers over the winter. Prep at leisure. Warm the kitchen up. Enjoy a game or conversation while the meal bakes. Supper’s ready!
This particular oven meal we first made over 10 years ago– which is… several cameras ago, so
excuse the photo quality. the photo quality is so poor that I took a screenshot of the word doc.
1/23/19, 8:25 central. Something is amiss. I will investigate. 8:28. Fixed I think. If you are seeing three Franks & Hot Potato Salads recipes, click on the link to open this post only. Sorry.
OVEN MEAL WITH FRANKS, HOT POTATO SALAD, PEAS, AND SPICE CAKE
FRANKS AND HOT POTATO SALAD
- 8 franks any variety—your choice
- 4 medium potatoes peeled, cut into large chunks, and boiled
- ¼ lb bacon diced
- ½ C white onion chopped
- 1 Tbsp flour
- 1 tsp salt
- Dash pepper
- ¼ C water
- ¼ C vinegar
- Dice potatoes into bite-sized pieces. Fry bacon pieces in skillet with onion until bacon is crisp and onion is tender. Combine, salt, pepper, water, and vinegar, mixing well. Sprinkle flour onto bacon and onion in skillet and sauté, about 1 minute. Pour water-vinegar mixture into skillet and cook over medium heat until mixture is thick. Pour sauce over potatoes and toss gently. Mound potato mixture in center of baking dish and line with franks
Mushroom & peas, and cake recipes below.
MUSHROOMS AND PEAS
- 1 10 oz box frozen peas
- ½ tsp salt
- 4 oz mushrooms sliced or quartered
- 2 Tbsp water
- 1 Tbsp butter
- Combine all ingredients except butter in a baking dish. Dot with butter and cover dish.
COCONUT TOPPED SPICE CAKE
- serves 8
- 1 package spice cake mix
- ½ stick butter softened
- 1 C brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp light cream
- 1 C shredded coconut
- Mix spice cake mix according to package directions and pour into 8×8 inch baking pan. Bake with meal about 40-45 minutes or until cake is completely cooked in center. Meanwhile cream butter and sugar, and stir in cream, mixing well. Stir in coconut. Spread mixture over warm cake and broil 4-5 inches from burner, about 4 minutes or until frosting is golden brown.