Pear Custard Pie is a modification of the recipe below.
- Substitute one 15.5 oz can pear halves + one 7 oz can fruit cocktail (drained) for apples
- Slice pear halves into quarters
- I had to bake this 20 minutes longer, and at 335, for the custard to set. So keep an eye on it!
APPLE CUSTARD PIE AND SOUR CREAM APPLE PIE VARIATION
Makes 1 9-inch pie
- ½ recipe Plain Pastry or other pastry for a single-crust pie
- 4 Tbsp flour
- 1 C sugar
- 5 apples pared, cut into halves
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 ½ C 1 large can evaporated milk
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 450o. Line pie pan with pastry, and sprinkle pastry with 2 Tbsp flour and ¼ C sugar. Arrange apple halves cut sides up in pastry shell. Combine egg and milk, and pour over apples. Combine remaining 2 Tbsp flour, ¾ C sugar, nutmeg, and cinnamon, and sprinkle mixture over top of filling in pastry shell. Bake 10 minutes, reduce oven temperature to 325o, and bake 30 minutes longer, until apples are tender and custard is firm.
SOUR CREAM APPLE PIE VARIATION Omit egg, milk, cinnamon, and half the flour. Combine remaining ingredients as above and bake as above, adding 1 C sour cream after 25 minutes.