Marica Cooks Monday! This was quite good. By necessity, I substituted sherry for the marsala.
Beef Stew with Marsala
Serves 8 or 9
- 3 lbs lean stewing beef
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 yellow onions, peeled & chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup Marsala wine
- 2 oz dried mushrooms, soaked in 1 1/2 cups warm water for 1 hour OR 1/2 lb mushrooms, sliced and 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- salt & pepper
- Brown the meat in the oil very quickly over high heat. Remove from pan, and saute the onions and garlic together until the onions brown a bit. You may have to add oil.
- Add remaining ingredients (including beef) to a stew pot. Cover with 1/2 cup of broth from dried onions (or beef broth), and reserve the rest of the juice/broth in case the stew gets too dry. Simmer for 1 1/2 hours, or until all is tender.
- Serve with rice or polenta.
The Frug: “The dried mushrooms and the Marsala wine in this dish create a flavor combination that is so rich you will be able to eat only a bit of this dish.”