February 2019: Miss Manners’® Guide to Rearing Perfect Children: A Primer for Everyone Worried about the Future of Civilization. Judith Martin. Atheneum, New York. 1984. Amazon here. World Cat (find a library) here.
January 2019: The Standard Dictionary of Facts. Henry W. Ruoff ed. The Frontier Press Company, Buffalo, N.Y. 1914. Digital here.
- The Standard Dictionary of Facts– Give it a try!
- These Sorts of Books
33203322 | Two Books about Books
- Who would want to know all of these
- The Standard Dictionary of Facts: One Final Thought
November 2015: Horizon: A Magazine of the Arts (selected hardcover volumes). American Heritage Publishing. 1958-1977. Individual volumes available here; tables of contents for all hardcover volumes available here.
- Sorry Indeed
- Well, this is outrageous!
CrappyOld Books of November: Look to the Past’s Horizon
- At Random
- Sampling 1961
- Nice boots you got there, hippie
October 2015: Fell down on the job although I did post some cool Hallowe’en stuff from kids’ books.
September 2015: Currier & Ives: Chronicles of America. John Lowell Pratt, ed. Promontory Press, New York. 1968. (Available here.)
- The Battle of Jonesboro, Georgia Sept. 1st 1864
- New York? Cotton? Country Life? Mississippi?
- Seen in West Point, Mississippi
- “The Great Bartholdi Statue“
- How dear to this heart are the scenes of my childhood
- “A Cotton Plantation on the Mississippi“
- “The Great Victory in the Shenandoah Valley“
- “The Battle of Chickamauga, Geo.”
- Add to Basket
- Life in the Country | Alt. Title The Unbearable Lightness of the Horse & Buggy Older Model Taurus Edition
- “Rounding the Bend” on the Mississippi
- Still Burning
- “Battle of Corinth, Miss., Oct. 4, 1862”
August 2015: American Voices: Prize-winning Essays on Freedom of Speech, Censorship & Advertising Bans. Philip Morris, USA. 1987. (Available here.)
- “Scheming”: What a Great Word!
- Not Too Good
- An Audience
- Fair Enough?
- The Benefit of Law
- “Who are these people…?”
- Quite Simply
- American Voices
- “A Future American History Reviewed”
July 2015: None. [See June. Plus my computer turned pink. Hard times.]
June 2015: None. [I had one picked out but, dude, I live on a farm. I was busy!]
CrappyOld Book of the Month: (late) May Edition
- Talk About Back Yard Science! Woo Boy!
- WARNING!! or not: Science in Your Own Back Yard
- The Tools of Science, ca., 1958
- Do NOT Try This with Fire Ants!
- Science in Your Own Back Yard: The End
CrappyOld Book of the Month: April Edition
- Why Instant Weather Forecasting?
- Quiet Evening
- The Crossed-Winds Rules
- Would you look at those skies!
- “Quiet Evening” Revisited
- Who Saw That Coming?
- Photos for the
CrappyOld Book of the Month
March 2015: Anniversaries and Holiday: A Calendar of Days and How to Observe Them. Mary Emogene Hazeltine. American Library Association, Chicago. 1928; ___ Second Edition. ___. Judith K. Sollenberger, ed., ___. 1944. (First edition here; Second edition here; Reprinted second edition paperback here)
- Why Anniversaries and Holidays?
- Happy Birthday, President Houston!
- How Ignernt Am I?
- Ring Ring … Ring Ring
- Service to Country
- Imagine it gone
- 250 Years Ago Today
- Amerigo! Amerigo!
- Every Seventh Notch
- “The Ides of March have come”
- Top of the mornin’ to ya!
- Give me Liberty!
- Sun & Moon
- July & August
- Chapter 15
- Lady Day
- The WWW has failed me, yet again
- Two Roads
- This should keep me out of trouble!
- Chronicles of America
- “The Revolt of Islam”
- Things we missed
- Cogito, dude.
February 2015: The essays or Counsels, civil and moral of Francis Bacon [first published in 1597, and as he left them newly written and published in 1625] including also his Apophthegms, Elegant sentences and Wisdom of the ancients. Francis Bacon. Henry Morley, ed. Donnohue, Henneberry & Co., Chicago. 1883. (Best approximation of the actual book here; Paperback here; Free Kindle version of The Essays here.)
- Why Bacon’s Essays?
- Your Morning Bacon: 3 Slices
- Morning Bacon: Just one slice I’ve got to eat & run
- Morning Bacon
- Who is Fra Bacon?
- Morning Bacon: A Plateful
- Some Bacon for Friday the 13th
- Of Marriage and Single Life
- Who Is Lord Bacon (Abridged)
- Of Custom and Education
- Of Nature in Men
- Of Adversity
- Of Negotiating
- Of Cunning
- Of Studies
- Of Discourse
- The Next Age
- Who was Francis Bacon? (Seriously)
January 2015: Crockett’s Victory Garden. James Underwood Crockett. Little/Brown and Company, Boston. 1977. (Paperback here)